How long does a roof repair last?
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO REPLACE A ROOF?
When your roof begins to leak, you want it fixed, and you want it fixed immediately. It is natural to wonder – how long does it take to replace a roof? You may also wonder what getting a new roof entails. Rest assured, new roof installation is not as long-term a process as you may fear.
For sake of example, let’s pretend your area saw a vicious hail storm recently. In this hail storm, your roof sustained major damage. There are obvious bare spots in the roof. Shingles are missing. Now that your roof is in disrepair, you need to replace it. How long will that take?
Not as long as you might think. A qualified Littleton roofer can install a new roof in as little as two days. Ultimately, it will depend on the size of your dwelling. The process is quite simple, too.
INSTALLING THE NEW ROOF
Installing a new roof includes few steps. However, those steps require a lot of physical labor. Don’t assume that installing a roof is easy work. Here are the steps, generally, that go into new roof installation.
Picking Your Materials/ Preparation
Shingles or tile? Maybe you should use shakes? If you go with shingles, should they be 3-tab shingles, premium shingles, dimensional shingles, or impact-resistant shingles? What color should you choose?
Plans are made during this initial stage. It’s the important first step that makes the installation of your new roof system much simpler.
During the preparation phase, if you’re going to leave the house while someone else installs your roof, you should be getting ready to go. You don’t have to leave, but if you stay you will be hearing constant noise for a few hours at least.
Tearing Off The Old Roof
Removing the shingles is important, and not just because it makes it easier to replace them. When you remove the shingles from the roof, you can see if your roof has any other issues that need attending to. If you have cracked boards or rotting wood, tearing off the old roof makes it easy to spot.
Performing Any Structural Repairs Needed
If you’ve found boards cracked or rotting, or if you’ve found cracked flashing, this is the time to fix them. Before your roof can be installed, the roofer will have to prepare your roof deck.
Installing Deck Protection And Leak Barrier
Before you can apply shingles, you need to put on at least one layer of material. The most commonly used deck protection by roofers is roofing felt. Roofing felt uses asphalt as its protective material, instead of tar.
High-risk areas of the roof are protected by leak-barriers. It is essential that your roofer uses these barriers wisely. Once both are down, you can begin the installation of the shingles.
Installing The Shingles
After your roofer has prepared and protected your roof, the real work can begin. This is usually the most time-consuming step. A quality roofer will take care to ensure rows are straight and level. Though people don’t often see the very top of your roof, this will ensure it offers proper protection.
Once shingles are in place, your new roof installation is almost complete.
During the installation of the new roof, messes will be made. Roofing nails, roofing felt, and even shingles will likely end up in the yard during the process. An experienced roofer is going to make sure everything is cleaned up appropriately.
DEALING WITH INSURANCE
An insurance claim may be appropriate if you have adequate coverage. That process adds a bit of time to your roof repair.
- Getting your insurance company to cover a portion of the cost of repair begins with a phone call or an E-filed claim.
- Next comes inspection of the damage. You call contractors and get their quotes for the work you’re looking for them to do. If you hire National Home Improvement, they will not only give you a quote for the roof, but also for other damage that your home may have sustained during the storm.
- Now you have to choose a contractor based on their earlier quote. If you choose National Home Improvement, not only are you getting a company with a long history in the roofing business, but also one that will assist you with the claims process. They will sign on as a representative to help streamline the insurance claim process.
- Filing your insurance claim. Now that you’ve picked your estimate and your contractor, they will file a detailed claim for the needed repair value.
- Settling the claim with your insurance company. By working with a company experienced in dealing with insurance companies, you’ll ensure maximum value and a quick process.
- Now repairs can begin.
As you can see, insurance adds hassle to the process, but it also will likely save you quite a bit of money on your new roof installation.
WE CAN HELP WITH YOUR NEW ROOF INSTALLATION
So, how long does it take to replace a roof? Not every roof installation is the same, of course, but this is the general outline for replacing your roof, as well as for working with an insurance company to cover the cost. For help with new roof installation, reach out to National Home Improvement today. We are happy to provide a free quote!